A Change Will Do You Good
- Fun in the Sun: The Best Exercises To Do in the Summer - May 14, 2021
- Summer Fitness: How To Protect Your Skin During a Run - May 12, 2021
- Bike Riding Tips for Beginners - April 28, 2021
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” -Andre Gide
There comes a time in everyone’s life when you have a choice to make. You either keep on doing things the way you’ve been doing them, putting in the same effort and getting the same results (otherwise known as insanity), or you take stock of your life and say now is the time for change!
And so, with that in mind, now is the time for change for The Runner Dad. As you may have read in my previous posts (Traffic & Commuting, Finding the Time, Going Back to Work, and It Finally Happened), my commute was basically draining the life out of me. In the two years that I’ve been at my current job, I’ve put on almost 15 lbs, stopped running, and generally become a grumpy person. Not to mention developing severe Season Affective Disorder (SAD) (good conversation on this over at the blog Running with Spatulas), giving me panic attacks and losing sleep during the winter months. I enjoyed the job, but expectations on where I’d be in life just didn’t pan out how I thought they would.
With that in mind, I have an announcement to make. On November 26th, I’ll be starting a new job! The best part? It’s only 5 minutes from my home! I measly 3.2 miles! I could take a long walk there, and my commute would STILL be shorter than my current commute…not to mention healthier! With hours from 8 – 4, it’s going to be life changing!
- No more waking up at 6:00 a.m.! Well, unless my infant son wakes me up that is!
- No more spending hundreds of dollars each month on gas on tolls! I should be able to go from two fill ups a week to one fill up a month!
- No more hours of my day spent idling in traffic! Welcome back sanity! Welcome back healthy back, shoulders, and body!
- I can start running again! No longer will my commute steal all of my energy and desire to do anything! Time to start filling up the race calendar!
- I can lose the weight! Time to get back in racing shape!
- I’ll have time for my son and wife! No more getting home, eating dinner, and only spending 20-30 minutes with my son before he goes to bed, and then only a short time with the wife before we go to bed to start the craziness over again!
So as you can tell, I’m a little excited! What I wanted to leave you with was the Holstee Manifesto that I had posted on my computer background for a while, which really sums up how you should live your life to be stress free. I hope you enjoy!